Monday, September 15, 2008

Fieldwork at Morrison

Hiking and exploring for homework! Right on!
This Saturday we headed out to the teeny, fun town of Morrison, CO near Red Rocks to explore the surrounding Geology for one of Parker's grad classes. It was a beautiful evening and it was great to get out and enjoy the comfortable weather hiking around in the brush!
I like this picture- classic Geologist. Parker was not seen with out his rockhammer! Unless he was taking pictures of it with rocks for scale, or throwing it at a tree like an indian warrior practicing his skills!
I found all sorts of cool things to take pics of! There were cactus EVERYWHERE! I had to step carefully with my Chaco feet! I messed with one that was broken open to see what was inside. I was surprised to see how small the cactus roots are- and there are two sizes of spines. the big ones are highly visible and easy to avoid I learned about the little ones after I pulled them out of my finger! They are red and small as little hairs, grouped around the base of the big prickers.

This lizard looks like he is hanging from his toes! Parker tried catching him after I took this picture.
Its'a cool picture with a purpose- I am the scale for this picture! Parker was studying the layers of rock on this huge rock wall. There are evidences of riverbeds and large dunes as well. the striations were really cool in some spots! Below is a real geology picture! Hammer to scale. These rocks were a really cool teal-ish green. I had to throw in at least one of the rock hammer portraits we took on this trip!
Where are we at the Beach?! Or maybe a snail cemetery? These were random but cool too.
There are Beautiful flowers in desert country. You can see the shadows rising with the sunset in the background.
New Sunglasses! Very rare and fashionable don't you think!
Parker is so cute and I love the wavy striations in the rock behind him.
Meanwhile I like to explore around all these cool rocks!
The sun was setting quickly but lighting up the sky beautifully! There were teeny pools all over this particular rock formation. You can see the main street of Morrison in the little valley- it was really busy on Saturday night. There were cars lining the highway in both directions!
We headed home at the end of a warm day. Parker will be back soon for more rock hammer pictures assorted with pictures of his pencil!!

6 comments:

Karen said...

I seriously MISS Colorado! I never got to go exploring around Morrison, but Colorado Springs, Manitou Springs, and woodland park were always fun! The US Air Force Academy was fun too, I guess.. but it didnt seem as fun after living there for 3 years. Looks like you had a lot of fun!

Cheryl said...

What a beautiful place! Isn't it fun to explore and discover the beauties of a new place? We are still trying to find out all the secrets of this corner of Washington!

Your blog is beautiful!!

Katie The Lady said...

Wow, It Looks beautiful! Is he going to be a geologist? My dad was one for many years, and I worked as the Geology Secretary at BYU-I while I was there, so Ilove the rocks! Good fun, good fun! What fun homework-haha!

Peay Family said...

Here is a our blog address, feel free to visit anytime. Thanks again for a fun time. You guys are great, and such a cute couple!!

Nancy said...

SO jealous!!! but not for long, next week I am headed to Moab for a week long geo training field trip...You two must be doing awesome! And your blog is adorable...

I am a mother! said...

Yay! SO glad you guys have a blog. I'll add you onto the list of blogs that we frequent. Can't wait to hear about more of your adventures!