Friday, August 13, 2010

Awesome Alaska Family

I love my family so much and I love Alaska. Parker and I got to take a wonderful summer trip to all be together in Alaska in June! We had a fabulous fabulous time, enjoyed the Alaskan outdoors, and most especially enjoyed one another's company and being ALL TOGETHER.

SEWARD! Here we come!
Once our whole family was in town, we packed up and headed South approximately three hours to Seward for some beach camping action as well as trying for some salmon despite the slow reports. We had a blast just being together, the rain was misty and the wind was crisp but it didn't put a damper on our fun! And - we caught some fish!

The first catch of the evening...
But not the last! ... And nowhere near the same size - Ha! We get a kick out of the little ones!

Along with my dad, the boys were especially dedicated fishermen this trip:
My Bro David- he's a total stud! AND he's going to be an amazing missionary!
My personal Stud, what a lucky girl I am to be married to this guy!
And don't forget my sister's stud Jeremy! (Not the best pic, but you have to know they were dedicated!)
In Colorado, Parker and I learned some dutch oven skills from our good friends Nick and Diana Wyatt and we put them to the test for my family! Thanks Wyatt's! Yum, I was remembering our backyard dutch oven cookout with every bite! Gourmet BBQ Chicken, and Garlic-y potatoes, carrots and onion. Deliciouso! And what better scenery to soak in as you create a meal to tantalize your taste buds! The best of scenery, food, an ocean breeze, a whale on the horizon, seals and otters floating nearby, eagles and gulls overhead, and fabulous family company... are there any more senses we could possibly satisfy?

Owen sisters!
Now here we are acting naturally...
More gathering around our fire pit, we definitely made the best fire pit around, professional puzzle - making!

My favorite part: Owen Family Sleepover! All TEN of us slept in our 8-man tent, We had more than one tent, but where's the fun in that?! Cuddle up! Amanda and I had fun setting up the pads and sleeping bags for everyone.
I must add that at 6 months along, I think I handled ground sleeping like a pro, I may live in Texas, but I have real Alaskan blood.

The guys searched and found a sweet spot for fishing a mile or so down the beach and after cuddling by the fire for a while as seen above, we went out to join them. Amanda paved the way with her master leaping skills, you didn't know she practiced long jump on her days off did you? (the stream was actually quite wide and deep, more than the picture implies) This stream entering the ocean also happened to be in the resident Gull family's territory, the pair went crazy dive bombing anyone who came near. She escaped without any top of the head 'presents' luckily!
Check out Amanda's blog post for more cool pics from our Alaska Seward trip!
This post is part one from our AK trip even though Seward was not our First or Last adventure of the trip, more to come!

5 comments:

Amanda M said...

whoo hoo! We are so cool! You NEED to email/send me copies of your AK pictures because I didn't take many!

Jill said...

I'm jealous! John and I really want to go to Alaska just to check it out but haven't made it yet! Look like fun!

Diana said...

Your dutch oven cooking looked so yummy!! You are so sweet to give us a little credit for it. It was great talking to you today! Miss you guys! Love, the Wyatt's

julie said...

We're thinking we need these yummy dutch oven recipes!

Jewel said...

I finally found your blog--looks like you had an AWESOME trip (I love camping. Just love it), and I'm excited to see pictures of your beautiful, strong little girl coming soon!!